Free School Meals
Additional funds are available to schools for children who qualify for free school meals (not to be confused with universal free school meals for all KS1 children).
Your child may be able to get free school meals if you get any of the following:
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit provided they have an annual net earned income not exceeding £7,400 per month
If your child is eligible for free school meals they will continue to receive Free School Meals until the end of the Universal Credit rollout period. This will apply even if your earnings rise above the new threshold or if you stop being entitled to Universal Credit. The rollout period is currently scheduled to end in March 2022. Once Universal Credit is fully rolled out, your child will keep their free school meals until the end of their current phase of education i.e. primary or secondary.
To check if you are entitled please select the link below